Sunday, June 28, 2015

Leadership Roles In The Primary Classroom

The end of June is approaching rapidly. This terrifies me a tiny bit because that means I need to start seriously thinking about moving my stuff into my new classroom and set it all up. I want to soak up summer as long as I can though. For those of you that are getting ready for the upcoming school year, I thought I would share a post that I originally posted on my own blog a few months ago. You can find it here. Or, you can just read it below :)

***

Hi friends! I'm happy you're here to join me today. I'm sharing with you how I hold leadership roles in the classroom and how my firsties apply for these roles.



So, I posted this picture on Instagram last Friday and it got some attention! So, I thought I better blog about it and share the application for FREE of course!

If you have been following my blog for awhile, then you know already that I teach at a Leader In Me school. You probably also know how important I feel it is to teach my students to be leaders for themselves and for others. You see, we have leadership roles in the classroom. These are similar to classroom jobs, but we don't call them jobs. We don't want our kids to think of them as something they are required to do, but yet something that they can be leaders of. Something they can set an example to others when they perform this role. 

This past Friday was the first time I have had my kids apply for a role. They will hold the role for a month and then apply again. They may choose to apply for the same role or they can pick a different one. If you look closely at the pictures, you'll see my students highlighted their number one choice, and then wrote a 2 and a 3 by their second and third choice. I noticed many wanted the more popular choices, such as Line Leader and Pencil Leader, so I asked them to add their second and third choice as well. 



We will definitely be working on how to write about our strengths. I didn't include on the application for them to write why they want the role or why they should have it, but yet to explain the strengths they have that may help them excel in this role. I think that's really important for kids to acknowledge as early as we can get them to- their strengths. There's so many times where I feel like they are completely aware of what they "can't" do (but that's a whole different post and I need to get off my soapbox before I start a long rant!), so we need to make them aware of what they succeed in. Anyway, then they draw a picture of them performing their role that they want. 

Anyway, if you want to pick up this application, click the picture below!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5qbxVJbDhb-RThwQ0lXUjlESTQ/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5qbxVJbDhb-RThwQ0lXUjlESTQ/view?usp=sharing

The roles are mostly pretty self-explanatory, but I'm going to include the picture from my clip chart product that explains the leadership roles:


{Thank you Cara Carroll, Melonheadz Illustrating, MTF Fonts and Teaching In A Small Town for the fonts and graphics}

Here's how I display my my leadership roles in the classroom:


I use this as a clip chart and clip the students on their given leadership role. If you're interested in this editable clip chart, you can grab it in my store by clicking on the pictures below. I have a bubblegum one and an beach-themed one. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Classroom-Leader-Jobs-1372983

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Classroom-Leader-Jobs-Beach-Theme-1380056

Thanks for reading my post! I hope it was helpful to those of you creating leadership roles in your classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment