Tuesday, May 19, 2015

No S'mores Here... Let's Roast BUGMALLOWS!

Hi everyone! It's Katie here from Simply Creative in KY!
I know it's the end of the year and we are all CRAZY busy... I mean, seriously, I had the day off today for Election Day and I've spent it doing report cards, planning a my last few days, packing up my house, grocery shopping -- I hit my step goal on my FitBit just from all of the errands! Lordy. I'm exhausted.
Yep, that's most definitely me on the right.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you a fun book you can read with your kiddos at the end of the year and a fun food craft/activity to go along with it. Last week we read the book Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies. Ohmyword it is SO cute.
It's a quick read that rhymes throughout the whole book. It talks about all of the bats coming out at night to go to the beach. It's a great book to compare and contrast what we do at the beach vs. what the bats do at the beach.

One thing the bats do at the beach is make BUGMALLOWS. You can see the cute little bat on the cover making a bugmallow -- seriously, adorable. So, of course, we made them too!

The supplies we used: giant marshmallows, Skittles, small pretzel sticks, gummy worms, Twizzler Pull 'n Peels, mini marshmallows, and popsicle sticks

While I was getting all of our supplies out, I had my kiddos draw the "plan" of what they wanted their  bug mallow to end up looking like on an index card. We also checked out the Bugmallow Hall of Fame HERE.
After making them we walked around and looked at everyone's bugmallows. Then, we finally ate our little creations! Making bugmallows was the perfect activity to go along with this adorable book, and it was a great read aloud for getting ready for all things summer!

See you next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment