Saturday, April 11, 2015

Earth Day FREEBIES

Hi there! It's Lauren from A Teachable Teacher !
Today I'm going to share an oldie (but a goodie) from my own blog.  Earth Day is in less than two weeks (April 22).  We've been busy creating new Earth Day projects in my first grade classroom.  I can't wait to share them with you, but it will have to wait until after open house. ;-) For now, here is what I did with my Kindergarteners for Earth Day last year.  These activities are sure to get your students writing about what they've learned!

In my ESL Kindergarten class, we focused a lot of energy on writing. Before we write, we do a lot of brainstorming with books, videos, and graphic organizers.  

Here's a fun cartoon we watched that teaches about Earth Day.


My students love this song that teaches them how THEY can reduce, reuse, and recycle.

After watching videos and reading books, we wrote in our graphic organizers!  There are three to choose from:
  • Earth Day
  • Recycling
  • I Love the Earth

The folding and snipping makes writing a lot more fun. ;-)

These Earth Day Fold & Snip books are easy to make and even easier to differentiate! Because they are so versatile, they can be used in classes K-2!


After filling our graphic organizers with words and pictures, we used them to form paragraphs!  All the hard work and brainstorming was done, and it made writing a piece of cake!

Click here download these for FREE.  

I have also created an Earth Day Reader and Writing Activities.  You can check them out here.

I hope you have fun foldin', snippin' and writin' about Earth day and nature next week! 
How do you celebrate Earth Day your classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment